Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Voices

I played intramural soccer while in college. During one game I was running after a ball as fast as I could believing that I could get it before it went out of bounds. Then on the side lines I heard a guy say, “no way he gets there”. In that moment I let up for a step or two, and that was all it took. I missed getting to the ball. I thought to myself, “boy was that stupid of me.” I knew I could get there, maybe. I mean that, it would have taken everything I had; but there was a good chance I could do it, but that moment of disbelief stopped the moment of possibility. Later in that same game a similar opportunity came again, but this time the results were different. It was interesting in that it was a harder play on the ball. My last step was about an inch from the sideline. From there I was in the air until I kicked the ball. From about five feet away the referee said “Good play!” I could tell by the way he said it that he enjoyed the play. He took joy in my accomplishment.
I suppose this all brings me to my point. We should be deliberate in the voices we listen to. Joe reminded us in his sermon this past Sunday “we should take time to read the bible everyday.” Good advice! In this world we live with stresses and many competing voices and messages. As such, we must be deliberate to take time to listen to the voice of God. In the soccer game the voice I needed to hear was my own. It said “I can do this”, but in life we often must depend on others and on circumstances. We often must act trusting that things will work out. Joe told the story of the accomplished man who felt dread and stress in his life all the time. The pastor assigned reading the 23 Psalm 5 times a day. He was to read it slow and deliberate. He was to mediate on the passage. He was to listen. Here is the genius of his prescription, this man needed to hear a “voice of faith.” Now hear this “voice of faith.”
1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2 He maketh me to lie down in greena pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. 3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. 4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. 5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointestb my head with oil; my cup runneth over. 6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

Rev. Patrick Evans
http://pastorpatscorner.blogspot.com