Tuesday, July 17, 2007

I Prefer

I prefer being in control as opposed to being dependent. I prefer comfort as opposed to suffering. I prefer the task be well within my capabilities so the outcome is not in doubt as opposed to the success of the task being in doubt. I prefer working within my comfort zone as opposed to being outside my comfort zone. I prefer things going according to my plans as opposed to my plans being interrupted. I prefer being well rested as opposed to being exhausted.
Yet having such preferences is interesting when I remember that when I am dependent on Him, God teaches me the lesson of faith. When I’m suffering I feel God’s presence the closest. When the outcome of my task is in doubt, I pray more. As I live outside my comfort zone, I grow in maturity as a Christian. When my plans have been interrupted I see God at work and am overjoyed with the day. And in exhaustion I finally stop my striving and find rest in Jesus.
Paul states, “That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” (2 Corinthians 12:10)
Rev Patrick Evans